Saturday, January 16, 2010

How many of you agree with me about gun control in regard to the Virginia Tech shooting?

I know that some will make the shooting at Va. Tech an argument for banning guns.





Firstly, in my opinion, banning guns is an impossible and ridiculous task. I own firearms and I have a permit to carry them concealed. I have been raised around firearms my whole life. The two areas, in my opinion, that need to be changed concerning guns are a) buying them out of the newspaper and b) allowing non-citizens to buy a firearm. Too many guns, without background checks, are being sold through the classified ads in newspapers. It happens all the time where I live and in my opinion, that needs to stop. Furthermore, no one but law abiding citizens should have the privelage and right to buy a firearm. That's not to say that citizens don't commit crimes with guns. However, citizens should be the only ones buying them. I also think that if faculty at schools were allowed to take a course on firearms, obtain a permit, and carry the gun concealed, these school shootings would stop!How many of you agree with me about gun control in regard to the Virginia Tech shooting?
Whether there was a stricter or more lenient approach to gun control events like these are still going to happen and although they are great tragedies unless it was impossible to get hold of guns and bullets, never going to happen, these events still have a possibility to occur.





Training faculty in the use of firearms would have a minimul effect, either as not everyone would want to use a gun or the first shot of any gun man would be to shoot the professor (no matter how good a marksman you are you couldn't hit a supprise bullet in the air). The painc this would cause with everyone on the floor either looking for the gun or hiding behind desk would make easy picking for the lone gun man.





Personally I would never own a gun or allow one in my house. before I get accused of anything I did used to shoot when I was a child but as I grew up I saw the danger attatched to guns to be greater than any safety or fun gained by it.





Guns are not the main problem with violent crime, Canada has equal access to gun but less violet crime per capita. UK which has a complete ban on guns has 80 times less violent crime per capita than the USA, but is still higher than Switzerland which has a very liberal approach to guns, more so than the USA. Society is the really blame for most violent crimes.How many of you agree with me about gun control in regard to the Virginia Tech shooting?
I totally agree with you. It would be a lot safer to just not have guns, but that will never happen. There will always be some person that is able to get a gun illigally. I am doing some reasurch on this topic, and it is great to know how you feel on this subject.

Report Abuse



I disagree - the time of the redcoats coming to get us is over.





IMHO no one aside from active law enforcement or active military should be allowed to own anything larger than a revolver (hunting rifles the exception - for registered hunters only).





No autos, no semi-autos - period. You do the math, if this were possible this guy could only have shot 7 max - not 35+





sad sad sad
Yes, I agree with you. Banning people from owning guns will only make matters worse for law-abiding people. Remember that bumper sticker that says'; If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns';? That will be the truth. Everytime something terrible happens with a gun, people automatically go into overdrive about banning guns.





The constitution guarantees us the right to bear arms. I, too grew up around guns. We learned to respect them and be careful around them. My husband has a conceal to carry permit and we keep guns in our home for hunting and for protection.





That post from brevejunkie is ludicrous. If someone breaks into your home with a gun, I dont think you are going to be able fight them off with a bat. Get serious. If guns were banned, then people intent on doing harm would still be able to get guns. It's that simple. People like that will break every law they can to do what they want. I mean, it was against the law to carry guns on campus but that didnt stop the Vtech shooter. The kids from Columbine were too young to purchase guns but they had a whole arsenal full of them . You can make every law you can regarding guns and it still wont stop the bad from doing what they want.





I agree there needs to be tougher laws regarding who gets to purchase guns but banning them is infringing on my constitutional rights. Perhaps next we will do away with free speech, and maybe down the road we can do away with a few more rights. Better think twice before you go messing with the Constitution.
I definately do!
Yes,I do.
Although, I understand some of your views... (Not sure that it makes a difference if you are a citizen or not) Listen, I respect the '; pro guns '; argument, but I could not disagree more.... Although I agree that we are so far gone in this area, that the logistics of making guns illegal may be too difficult.... Whether we want to hear it or not, taking the guns away would decrease the amount of murders... Case in point: The UK has a population of about 70,000,000, roughly 1/4 that of the pop of the US... Hand guns and Assault rifles (Lets face it, these types of weapons are designed to kill people) are illegal in the UK The Murder rate in UK is 1/8 of the US rate.... The math does not lie... You take the guns away, and the murder rates will drop.... NRA members hate statistics like this.... That said, I understand the dilemma of wanting to defend your family.... The irony is that the guns are responsible for that need also...
i agree one hundred percent with youuuuuuu
I agree wholeheartedly! I could not have said it any better.
I think rifles and shotguns are fine (hunting) but why would anyone other than the military/police need a handgun or any other type? You don't go hunting with pistols--you kill people with pistols. Why would you possibly need one? Self defense? Someone breaks into your house, you fend them off with a knife or baseball bat or something. If guns are banned, nobody would have one.
I don't think we need more laws.... two good ones that should have stopped this are


1. It's illegal to shoot a person.


2. VT does not allow students to have guns on campus.





Drugs like meth and cocaine probably kill more people.... maybe we should make them illegal....... oh sorry they already are.... wonder why people break the law?????





More laws..... more laws get broken. Too bad this guy didn't come across somone with a CC gun
I disagree. People, its not the guns that are doing the killing, its the nut pulling the trigger. Just in the last 3 days, how many people were killed in auto accidents? Hundreds. And how about the nutso's that get behind the wheel and drive through a crowded bus stop or other outdoor venues. It happens but do we go off the deep end and start trying to outlaw cars? No. Whacko's are gonna do this kinda thing and have done this kinda thing for a long long time, but I for one will not stand by and go quietly. Be aware and be prepared. And remember, if guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have the guns.
well, there is no real way to stop this problem...





by letting everyone have guns, things like this happen, and people die.





but if we banned guns, bad people would still have a way to get them, and than the only people with guns would be the bad people doing things like this.





so, honestly, I really don't know a solution, you give people guns, they'll shoot each other. you take away the guns, people will obtain them illegally, and shoot each other.





I agree that more needs to be done when people want to buy guns. we don't know fr sure if this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't gotten those guns when he did, but maybe it could've been reported, and he would've been investigated





or he could've been stalled long enough to lose his nerve
16000 people murdered in US a year. 40000 people killed in a car accident each year - 2.5 million injured. I think before the government tries to change the rules on guns to peek at our transportation problem. At least guns put murderers in jail.
If others had guns at Virginia Tech imagine the confusion. Police would have no idea on who the suspect was. Shooters would have no idea of who the bad guy was - accomplices? You would have hundreds of dead people and police shooting dozens of innocent gun-carrying citizens.


I believe we should be allowed non-life threatening weapons like tazers and that high populated areas should have cameras everywhere run by its people - available to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment